One of the things that is high on the wish list of many young people for birthdays and Christmas is hoverboards. However, when you start looking into buying a hoverboard, whether it is for yourself or someone else, you might feel like a fish out of water.
You might also remember news stories in the the past of hoverboards overheating and catching on fire, which only makes the process of selecting a hoverboard to buy feel even more daunting.
So what do you need to know to find a quality hoverboard that won’t catch on fire, has the features you are looking for, and won’t break your budget.
What Are Hoverboards And What Do They Do?
I really wish I could tell you that hoverboards, which are also called self balancing scooters, on sale today were like what we saw in “Back to the Future”, but they are not.
Instead of actually floating above the ground hoverboards are like mini-segways without any handlebars. Once you get on the hoverboard you can just lean forward to glide forward and lean back to go in reverse.
Know That Where You Live Matters
Before taking the plunge and buying a hoverboard for yourself or someone else you should check out the local laws where you (or the person you will be buying it for) will be using it. Some cities have strict limitations as to where you can ride a hoverboard.
Why Were Hoverboards Catching on Fire in the Past?
Most of the problems people were reporting stemmed from faulty batteries. Some of those problems might have been to poor quality control with some models. You must remember that at the time when people were reporting hoverboards exploding or catching on fire some manufacturers were having a hard time keeping up with demand and basically couldn’t make them fast enough.
Other manufacturers simply weren’t using high-quality batteries, instead opting for lower cost batteries.
In any case, those days are in the past and steps have been taken to make sure that consumers are buying hoverboards with the high-quality batteries they expect. We will explain more about this in a minute.
So what do you need to consider when buying a hoverboard? Continue reading our buying guide to see our top 7 tips to make you a well informed hoverboard shopper.
7 Things to Remember When Buying a Hoverboard
#7 Think About Which Cool Extra’s You Want on the Hoverboard
There are all kinds of extras and options to consider when buying a hoverboard. Things you can get or consider include:
- Colors and finishes
- Taller/bigger wheels
- Bluetooth speakers to connect to and play music from your smartphone
- LED headlights
- Turn signals
- Learning mode for new riders
- Higher top speeds
- Water resistant models
- Longer range models (models that can travel a longer distance between charges)
#6 Don’t Chase the Lowest Price
Quality hoverboards, much like other products, use quality components and quality components aren’t cheap. So if you all you focus on is the lowest price you will run the risk that you will end up with a hoverboard that won’t last.
That being said, there are still ways to avoid paying top dollar for a hoverboard. Identify which features you want and which features you can live without. Avoiding hoverboards with extra features is a sure way to save some money.
#5 How Big is the Person Who will Be Riding the Hoverboard?
There is no one size fits all when it comes to hoverboards. You need to look at the weight and height restrictions for each hoverboard you are considering.
You will see some hoverboards that are build for children or smaller adults. These hoverboards will be smaller (including footpads designed for smaller feet) and might have less powerful batteries and motors. Sometimes they might also have smaller wheels than the 6.5 inch wheels that are commonly found on so many models. You will also find that hoverboards built for younger or newer riders will also have a learning mode and will often have a lower top speed. It’s also important to note that there a minimum size requirements on hoverboards as well. Ignoring these minimum requirements might put the rider at increased risk of injury.
There are also hoverboards that are build with larger adults in mind. They will be wider, have larger footpads, and sometimes will have bigger wheels. You will also find that many times they will have bigger batteries and more powerful motors. Plus, these hoverboards will often have a higher top speed. Not surprisingly, these hoverboards are going to be more expensive, which can feel frustrating, but getting a hoverboard that is built for for the size of the rider will last longer and probably be safer as well.
Another thing you need to think about is the weight of the hoverboard because the person using the hoverboard will need to be able to lift or carry it as needed. Many hoverboards are in the 20-25 pound range. However, if you buy a hoverboard that was designed for a 220+ lb. adult it can easily weight more than 30 lbs and odds are it might be a bit heavy for a 12 year old to carry. That is another reason we say there is no one size fits all when it comes to hoverboards.
#4 Think About Wheel Size
The standard wheel size for most models is in the 6.5 – 7 inch range and this is fine for sidewalks and paved surfaces, which is how most people use their hoverboards. However, if you plan on riding the hoverboard on grass and other rougher surfaces you probably want to consider buying one with larger wheels. Many of these off-road models will have wheels that range between 8.5-12 inches. These taller wheels not only provide more ground clearance, but they will also have more aggressive tread. Both of these things are important when you are not riding a hoverboard on smooth surfaces.
If you are thinking about getting one of these “off-road” models be prepared to spend a bit more money. In addition to having larger wheels these models will often also have larger motors, bigger batteries, and water resistance (all of which are good things).
#3 See What Other People Have to Say
If you aren’t sure if you picking a good model check out online reviews at places like Amazon.com. There is no product out there that has a perfect rating and makes everyone completely happy. That being said, it is good to hear what other people say about the pros and cons for a given product. Plus, sometimes you might learn something about the product’s features that you didn’t know before.
When looking at online reviews the higher the average rating the better. You also should feel good if there are a lot of reviews. Typically the more reviews you see the more confident you can feel in the average ratings for a product. If you only see a handful of reviews for a particular product the average rating can get greatly influenced just a couple of really high or low reviews and those reviews might not be reflective of what a larger number of customers might report (good or bad).
If you see a something with a lot of reviews that has a rating of 4 out of 5 or better you should feel fairly certain that you are looking at a quality product.
#2 Check the Warranty
Companies that make quality products stand behind those products. So another good idea is to check out the warranty information for the hoverboard before you buy it. The two things you want to look for in a warranty is the length of the warranty and what is covered under the warranty. Obviously a longer warranty that covers more things will give you more peace of mind about your purchase.
In addition to checking out the warranty it is also a good idea to know the return policy of the retailer you are purchasing it from. If you are buying the hoverboard online you will want to make sure the online retailer has a solid return policy like Amazon.com
# 1 Get a Hoverboard That is UL 2272 Certified
The UL 2272 certification came in response to hoverboards that were overheating, catching fire, or exploding due to electrical problems a few years ago. The last thing you want to worry about when buying a hoverboard is the possibility of it overheating and catching on fire.
Consumers who purchase a hoverboard that is UL 2272 certified can rest easy knowing that the hoverboard has an electrical drive train system including the battery system, other circuitry and electrical components that are deemed safe. If you are thinking about buying a hoverboard that doesn’t have this certification our advice to you would be to RUN THE OTHER WAY!
If you only pay attention to one thing on our list make sure this is it. Any good hoverboard will have this certification and proudly tell you that it does. Many retailers refuse to sell hoverboards that are not UL 2272 approved, but it is still good to know the importance of this certification in case you run into a model that doesn’t have it.
Hopefully this list of 7 things to remember helped prepare you to find the perfect hoverboard for yourself or whoever you are shopping for. However, you want to always remember that there are risks associated with using hoverboards – just like there are risks for using other equipment such as bikes, skates, and other motorized equipment. So always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for the safe of use and don’t forget to wear the appropriate safety equipment.
Image Credit: www.soarboards.com
Bestselling Hoverboards on Amazon
- Shipped from US. - all Sisigad Hoverboard have passed strict electrical test and meet Ul2272 standards to ensure safety. Any issue just feel free to contact us.
- Unique LED & Bluetooth - built-in wireless speaker can be easily connected to portable devices in second, just enjoy your favorite music or books without wearing headphones.
- Self BALANCING control system - Full of technology and easy to learn for beginners and amateurs.
- SMOOTH RIDES - 6. 5" wheels with high quality rubber tires and comfortable footpedals, provide smooth riding experience.
- Perfect gift - specially designed for beginners, amateurs, office workers, dog and cat walkers, free your feet - new way for transportation! So have fun with your family and friends!
- Ultimate performance: 10” pneumatic tires, can be used for outside terrain at a top speed of 9 mph. Let the power of front and rear facing LED lights guide you when your taking a spin in the dark. Non-slip and shock-absorbing pedals.
- 5 Hour Charge gets you full and worry free to get you where you need to go with a top distance of 8 miles before you need to recharge!
- Built-in Bluetooth speakers, no app required, simply search for available Bluetooth devices and pair, let the jamming begin!
- Comes with a 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty, charger, product manual and hoverboard in original RIDE SWFT packaging
- UL 2272 certified battery & 27 Point Safety Inspection. Electrical systems and components maintain safety standard for use in or outdoors.
- ▶▶SHIPPED FROM US. - All SISIGAD hoverboards have passed strict electrical test and meet UL2272 standards to ensure safety. Any issue just feel free to contact us.
- ▶▶UNIQUE LED & BLUETOOTH - Built-in wireless speaker can be easily connected to portable devices in second, just enjoy your favorite music or books without wearing headphones.
- ▶▶SELF BALANCING CONTROL SYSTEM - Full of technology and easy to learn for beginners and amateurs. Li-ion batteries, dual hub motors, quick charging and longer using time.
- ▶▶SMOOTH RIDES - 6.5" wheels with high quality rubber tires and comfortable footpedals, provide smooth riding experience.
- ▶▶PERFECT GIFT - Specially designed for beginners, amateurs, office workers, dog and cat walkers, free your feet - new way for transportation! So have fun with your family and friends!
- Shipped from US. - all LIEAGLE Hoverboard have passed strict electrical test and meet UL2272 standards to ensure safety. If you have Any issue just feel free to contact us
- Unique LED & Bluetooth - built-in wireless speaker can be easily connected to portable devices in second, just enjoy your favorite music or books without wearing headphones
- Self BALANCING control system - Full of technology and easy to learn for beginners and amateurs, Our hoverboard keeps children safe while bringing fun
- SMOOTH RIDES - 6. 5" wheels with high quality rubber tires and comfortable footpedals, provide smooth riding experience
- Perfect gift - specially designed for beginners, amateurs, office workers, dog and cat walkers, free your feet - new way for transportation! So have fun with your family and friends
- Safety Priority : UL 2272 certification ensures Ninebot S meets high standards for fire and electrical safety. The Smart Battery Management System provides reliable battery performance. IP54 waterproof protection ensures operation in various weathers.
- Sturdy & Powerful : Ninebot S is compact, weighting just 28 lbs with a max load of 220 lbs. Thanks to the dual 400W motors, it can easily reach a max speed of 10 mph. A single fully charged battery can run up to 13. 7 miles, climbing a max slope of 15°
- Road Adaptive Design : 10. 5" pneumatic tires provide a comfortable and smoother ride on bumpy roads. Knee control bar allows for precise steering and easy lifting. Applicable Age 16 – 50 years. Applicable Height - 3. 11 – 6. 6 Inch.
- Intelligent App Management : Download the Segway app for anti-theft function, speed limit and adjustment, vehicle self-diagnose, firmware upgrade, Ambient Light, vehicle remote control and more.Rated voltage:54.8V
- Quality Assurance: The Ninebot S is sturdy and durable. One-year or 180-day for different parts, please refer to information in product details below, contact us at [email protected] if you have any problems.
- KEEPING YOUNG AND FUN - Turn your hover board into a fascinating Go-Kart. Suitable for 6. 5, 8, 10 inch self balancing scooters. (Hover board NOT Included)
- LARGER AND EASY TO ASSEMBLE - With rear suspension and larger design, the kart kit is solid, reliable and durable up to 270 lbs. max. weight. Almost fully assembly and modular design allow you to install within 15 mines.
- SAFER AND SMOOTH - Smooth power performance and enhanced steering, let you control every movement with ease and safe, even for 4 years old.
- ADJUSTABLE AND COMFORTABLE: Adjustable leg pedals lengths can suit rider from 4 years - 65 years old. Ergonomic seats are both reliability and comfort.
- Safety features including battery shield for fire and overheat protection.
- Max weight 220 LBS. Solid 6.5 inch tires. Max incline: up to 15 degrees
- Travels up to 12 miles at 10 mph after 4 hours of charge
- 90 day limited against manufacturer defects.
- Smart balance electric scooter with LED headlights
- RIDE WITH SAFETY: Comply with US UL Safety standard. The hover board meets safety standards for quality charging and electrical performance. Charger included.
- NONE-SLIP FOOT PAD: Our None-Slip Footpad is thicker and more durable. It will give you better stability and traction experience while riding.
- LED LIGHT: High intensity headlights and LED running lights make travel safer and more fun.
- BUILT IN SPEAKER: The wireless built in Bluetooth speaker come with extraordinary sound effect.
- SELF-BALANCING: The electric hoverboard features self-balancing technology for easy and quick learning. You will be enjoying this kids hoverboard in seconds even if you are just a beginner.
- ✔️【SPECIAL DESIGIN】Smart Self-Balanced Electric Scooter, which set BlueTooth App control, adjust LED light's colors, Sport Mode, Sensitivity, and firmware update etc. Search and download APPs "FOTBOT" form App store. Smart Self-Balanced Electric Scooter moving directions controlled by your body balance, you body center of gravity more forward, hoverboard will forward.
- ✔️【STURDY & POWERFUL】Balanced electric scooter has 250W dual motors that can speed up to 9 miles per hour to climb slopes as steep as 15 degrees, achieve up to 8 miles per charge. Over 10 mile range on a single charge and battery provide comprehensive battery safety protection.
- ✔️【LONG DISTANCE】36-volt Lithium- ion battery provides longer range and playing time compare with 24 volts. BMS battery management system, comprehensive battery safety protection.
- ✔️【PROTECTION & SAFETY】frontlights and flashing wheel makes travel safer, customizable LED taillights provides high rear visibility for both daytime and night time. When you play in dark place, , it help you confirm the direction, Safe and Stable. Non-slip footpads allow you to keep stability and traction.
- ✔️【Intelligent App Management】Build-in Bluetooth App control, adjust LED lights’ colors, sport mode, monitor battery status, firmware update and sensitivity, etc (Please search and download " FOTBOT" at App store, then you can connect the Self-Balancing Scooter).
- CRUISE UP TO 3 MILES ON A SINGLE CHARGE: Are you looking for a hoverboard for your kids to ride in style? Invest in our outstanding quality, electric, self-balancing hover board and enjoy up to 3 miles ride ((on a full 6 hour charge) before needing a recharge. At a max. speed of 7mph with super sturdy and 100% safe construction, front facing LED lights and 6.5”, light up wheels and unique colors to choose from, it is a gift any child will love!
- SUITABLE FOR KIDS & TEENS: Designed for kids aged 6 - 15, our blaze hoverboard scooter is not only cool and fun to ride, but it is also a great way of personal transportation! With features that make it stand out from the rest, our self-balancing cruiser hover board is very easy to learn, even for beginners. The front facing LED lights and light up wheels allow for safe riding in the dark, while the non-slip foot pads make it easy to maintain your balance indoors or outdoors!
- SELF-BALANCING TECHNOLOGY: Whether you are a pro or an amateur, our RIDE SWFT hoverboard is an excellent choice if safety and quality is what you are looking for. Featuring self-balancing technology that makes it extra easy to ride, this electric scooter makes a perfect option even for clumsy kids. It ensures stability as the rider gets on and off the board and it also delivers an impressively durable build, which can withstand rough housing.
- UL 2272 SAFETY CERTIFICATION: With a UL 2272 safety certification to reassure you that our self-balancing hover board meets all safety requirements, you can get it with peace of mind, knowing that it is a great choice for your little ones. It has a 27-point safety inspection, a UL 2272 certified battery and an overcharge protection, plus all electrical systems and components are safe to use inside, as well as outside the house. *Caution: always take proper safety precautions for a safe ride*
- RISK-FREE RETURN POLICY: Trust the experts and order yours today with confidence, knowing that you are covered by our hassle-free, no questions asked return policy, as well as a 1 year manufacturer’ warranty. In the unlikely case that your hoverboard is defective, we offer free replacement and our expert staff is always at your disposal for anything you might need. Ready to hit the road?
Last update on 2021-07-30 at 15:53 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API