One of the things that is high on the wish list of many young people for birthdays and Christmas is hoverboards. However, when you start looking into buying a hoverboard, whether it is for yourself or someone else, you might feel like a fish out of water.
You might also remember news stories in the the past of hoverboards overheating and catching on fire, which only makes the process of selecting a hoverboard to buy feel even more daunting.
So what do you need to know to find a quality hoverboard that won’t catch on fire, has the features you are looking for, and won’t break your budget.
Table of Contents
What Are Hoverboards And What Do They Do?
I really wish I could tell you that hoverboards, which are also called self balancing scooters, on sale today were like what we saw in “Back to the Future”, but they are not.
Instead of actually floating above the ground hoverboards are like mini-segways without any handlebars. Once you get on the hoverboard you can just lean forward to glide forward and lean back to go in reverse.
Know That Where You Live Matters
Before taking the plunge and buying a hoverboard for yourself or someone else you should check out the local laws where you (or the person you will be buying it for) will be using it. Some cities have strict limitations as to where you can ride a hoverboard.
Why Were Hoverboards Catching on Fire in the Past?
Most of the problems people were reporting stemmed from faulty batteries. Some of those problems might have been to poor quality control with some models. You must remember that at the time when people were reporting hoverboards exploding or catching on fire some manufacturers were having a hard time keeping up with demand and basically couldn’t make them fast enough.
Other manufacturers simply weren’t using high-quality batteries, instead opting for lower cost batteries.
In any case, those days are in the past and steps have been taken to make sure that consumers are buying hoverboards with the high-quality batteries they expect. We will explain more about this in a minute.
So what do you need to consider when buying a hoverboard? Continue reading our buying guide to see our top 7 tips to make you a well informed hoverboard shopper.
7 Things to Remember When Buying a Hoverboard
#7 Think About Which Cool Extras You Want on the Hoverboard
There are all kinds of extras and options to consider when buying a hoverboard. Things you can get or consider include:
- Colors and finishes
- Taller/bigger wheels
- Bluetooth speakers to connect to and play music from your smartphone
- LED headlights
- Turn signals
- Learning mode for new riders
- Higher top speeds
- Water resistant models
- Longer range models (models that can travel a longer distance between charges)
#6 Don’t Chase the Lowest Price
Quality hoverboards, much like other products, use quality components and quality components aren’t cheap. So if you all you focus on is the lowest price you will run the risk that you will end up with a hoverboard that won’t last.
That being said, there are still ways to avoid paying top dollar for a hoverboard. Identify which features you want and which features you can live without. Avoiding hoverboards with extra features is a sure way to save some money.
#5 How Big is the Person Who will Be Riding the Hoverboard?
There is no one size fits all when it comes to hoverboards. You need to look at the weight and height restrictions for each hoverboard you are considering.
You will see some hoverboards that are build for children or smaller adults. These hoverboards will be smaller (including footpads designed for smaller feet) and might have less powerful batteries and motors. Sometimes they might also have smaller wheels than the 6.5 inch wheels that are commonly found on so many models. You will also find that hoverboards built for younger or newer riders will also have a learning mode and will often have a lower top speed. It’s also important to note that there a minimum size requirements on hoverboards as well. Ignoring these minimum requirements might put the rider at increased risk of injury.
There are also hoverboards that are build with larger adults in mind. They will be wider, have larger footpads, and sometimes will have bigger wheels. You will also find that many times they will have bigger batteries and more powerful motors. Plus, these hoverboards will often have a higher top speed. Not surprisingly, these hoverboards are going to be more expensive, which can feel frustrating, but getting a hoverboard that is built for for the size of the rider will last longer and probably be safer as well.
Another thing you need to think about is the weight of the hoverboard because the person using the hoverboard will need to be able to lift or carry it as needed. Many hoverboards are in the 20-25 pound range. However, if you buy a hoverboard that was designed for a 220+ lb. adult it can easily weight more than 30 lbs and odds are it might be a bit heavy for a 12 year old to carry. That is another reason we say there is no one size fits all when it comes to hoverboards.
#4 Think About Wheel Size
The standard wheel size for most models is in the 6.5 – 7 inch range and this is fine for sidewalks and paved surfaces, which is how most people use their hoverboards. However, if you plan on riding the hoverboard on grass and other rougher surfaces you probably want to consider buying one with larger wheels. Many of these off-road models will have wheels that range between 8.5-12 inches. These taller wheels not only provide more ground clearance, but they will also have more aggressive tread. Both of these things are important when you are not riding a hoverboard on smooth surfaces.
If you are thinking about getting one of these “off-road” models be prepared to spend a bit more money. In addition to having larger wheels these models will often also have larger motors, bigger batteries, and water resistance (all of which are good things).
#3 See What Other People Have to Say
If you aren’t sure if you picking a good model check out online reviews at places like Amazon.com. There is no product out there that has a perfect rating and makes everyone completely happy. That being said, it is good to hear what other people say about the pros and cons for a given product. Plus, sometimes you might learn something about the product’s features that you didn’t know before.
When looking at online reviews the higher the average rating the better. You also should feel good if there are a lot of reviews. Typically the more reviews you see the more confident you can feel in the average ratings for a product. If you only see a handful of reviews for a particular product the average rating can get greatly influenced just a couple of really high or low reviews and those reviews might not be reflective of what a larger number of customers might report (good or bad).
If you see something with a lot of reviews that has a rating of 4 out of 5 or better you should feel fairly certain that you are looking at a quality product.
#2 Check the Warranty
Companies that make quality products stand behind those products. So another good idea is to check out the warranty information for the hoverboard before you buy it. The two things you want to look for in a warranty is the length of the warranty and what is covered under the warranty. Obviously, a longer warranty that covers more things will give you more peace of mind about your purchase.
In addition to checking out the warranty it is also a good idea to know the return policy of the retailer you are purchasing it from. If you are buying the hoverboard online you will want to make sure the online retailer has a solid return policy like Amazon.com
# 1 Get a Hoverboard That is UL 2272 Certified
The UL 2272 certification came in response to hoverboards that were overheating, catching fire, or exploding due to electrical problems a few years ago. The last thing you want to worry about when buying a hoverboard is the possibility of it overheating and catching on fire.
Consumers who purchase a hoverboard that is UL 2272 certified can rest easy knowing that the hoverboard has an electrical drive train system including the battery system, other circuitry and electrical components that are deemed safe. If you are thinking about buying a hoverboard that doesn’t have this certification our advice to you would be to RUN THE OTHER WAY!
If you only pay attention to one thing on our list make sure this is it. Any good hoverboard will have this certification and proudly tell you that it does. Many retailers refuse to sell hoverboards that are not UL 2272 approved, but it is still good to know the importance of this certification in case you run into a model that doesn’t have it.
Hopefully this list of 7 things to remember helped prepare you to find the perfect hoverboard for yourself or whoever you are shopping for. However, you want to always remember that there are risks associated with using hoverboards – just like there are risks for using other equipment such as bikes, skates, and other motorized equipment. So always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for the safe of use and don’t forget to wear the appropriate safety equipment.
Image Credit: www.soarboards.com
Bestselling Hoverboards on Amazon
- POWERFUL JOYRIDE – Gotrax EDGE hoverboard with dual 200W brushless motors, you can take your riding to a fun and safe top speed of 6.2mph. Equipped with 50.4Wh low self-discharge rate battery pack offers up to 2.5 miles of continuous riding on a single charge (travel distance depends on rider's weight, terrain and so on).
- RIDING WITH CONFIDENCE - 6.5" solid high-quality tires provide comfortable and smooth riding on most of the road. A durable and thick non-slip footpad allows all level riders to feel safe. This hover board includes LED indicator light, which shows the battery and hoverboard status to make it easy to stay in the know.
- SAFETY ELECTRIC HOVERBOARDS - Gotrax self-balancing scooter have passed the strict electrical, battery, and charger systems tested, and meet UL2272 safety standards to ensure safety. Each Gotrax hoverboard back is affixed with a UL certification label. The bright front LED light which illuminates the area and keeps riders visible ensures night safety riding.
- EASY LEARN AND CONTROL - The self-balancing control system makes the electric hoverboards easy to learn and control, put one foot on the board pedal, then put the other foot, once staying straight in a comfortable posture, you can ready to go(tips: the feet closer to the wheel, the more stability). Go straight, fast turns, 360° rotation to show your skills.
- A ONE Of A KIND GIFT - This electric hoverboard isn’t just for kids! It’s for riders of all sizes and able to carry anyone up to 44-176 lbs. It can be an affordable and unique gift for your friends and family. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, we provide 24 hours online service and 180 days warranty.
- UL 2272 certification ensures Ninebot S meets high standards for fire and electrical safety. The Smart Battery Management System provides reliable battery performance. IP54 waterproof protection ensures operation in various weathers.
- Sturdy & Powerful : Ninebot S is compact, weighting just 28 lbs with a max load of 220 lbs. Thanks to the dual 400W motors, it can easily reach a max speed of 10 mph. A single fully charged battery can run up to 13.7 miles, climbing a max slope of 15°
- Road Adaptive Design : 10.5" pneumatic tires provide a comfortable and smoother ride on bumpy roads. Knee control bar allows for precise steering and easy lifting. Applicable Age 16 – 50 years. Applicable Height - 3.11 – 6.6 Inch.
- Intelligent App Management : Download the Segway app for anti-theft function, speed limit and adjustment, vehicle self-diagnose, firmware upgrade, Ambient Light, vehicle remote control and more.
- SMOOTH RIDING HOVERBOARD - Equipped with 6.5" wheels, powerful 500W motor (250W x 2) and enough torque that easily gets up inclines of up to 15 degrees. This hoverboard scooter can go up to 7 mph over a 12 mile range
- FUN, EASY AND INTUITIVE RIDING - Step on one side first, the board stabilizes so you can put your other foot on. Controls are easy to learn, allowing you to smoothly accelerate/decelerate by applying pressure with your feet and/or leaning
- BEST SELF-BALANCING SYSTEM - With Hover-1, the built-in inertia dynamic stabilization system keeps you in control. The Ultra hoverboard scooter stabilizes the rider, controls balance and motion for a safe, stable & fun riding experience
- LONG-LASTING BATTERY - IPX-4 rated for water-resistance, this hoverboard features a built-in 25.2V/4.0 Ah Lithium-ion rechargeable battery (certified), fully charges in 4 hours. The safety shield battery enclosure prevents fire & overheating
- WE TAKE SAFETY SERIOUSLY - The hoverboard sends alerts if you are speeding or riding on unsafe surfaces so you can slow down and avoid mishaps. LED lights on both sides of the hoverboard adds visibility of any rider when it matters most
- ▶▶Safe for Riding- All SISIGAD hoverboards have passed strict electrical test and meet safety standards to ensure safety.
- ▶▶Unique LED & Bluetooth- Built-in wireless speaker can be easily connected to portable devices in second, just enjoy your favorite music or books without wearing headphones.
- ▶▶Self Balancing System- Full of technology and easy to learn for beginners and amateurs. Dual hub motors, quick charging and longer using time.
- ▶▶Smooth Ride- 6.5" wheels with high quality rubber tires and comfortable footpedals, provide smooth riding experience.
- ▶▶Perfect Gift- Specially designed for beginners, amateurs, office workers, dog and cat walkers, free your feet - new way for transportation!
- Speed & Range: Ninebot S2 reaches 11.2 mph, 21.7 miles.
- Beginner-Friendly: Ages 16-50, learning mode.
- Adjustable & Supportive: Fits 4'3"-6'6", up to 220 lbs.
- Hill Conqueror: Handles 15° slopes effortlessly.
- Efficient Charging: Smart BMS, 335 Wh, 4.5-hour charge.
- HOVERBOARD WITH BT SPEAKER - Listen to music while riding the H1 Hoverboard Scooter. 6.5" wheels provides a smooth ride, 400W motors (200W x 2) offers torque that easily gets up inclines of up to 15 degrees, and a top speed of 9 mph over a 9 mile range
- FUN, EASY AND INTUITIVE RIDING – Step on one side first, the board stabilizes so you can put your other foot on. Controls are easy to learn, allowing you to smoothly accelerate/decelerate by applying pressure with your feet and/or leaning.
- BEST SELF-BALANCING SYSTEM - With Hover-1 gyroscopes and acceleration sensors, the built-in inertia dynamic stabilization system keeps you in control. The H1 hoverboard scooter stabilizes the rider, controls balance and motion for a safe, stable & fun riding experience.
- BLUETOOTH HOVERBOARD - Enjoy your favorite track or playlist with the built-in Bluetooth 4.0 speaker. Switch between the 3 skill modes, enable GPS tracking, play/pause music, and customize your LED lights with the Android/iOS compatible Bluetooth App.
- LONG-LASTING BATTERY - IPX-4 rated for water-resistance, this hoverboard features a built-in 25.2V/4.0 Ah Lithium-ion rechargeable battery (certified), fully charges in 2.5 hours (charger included). The safety shield battery enclosure prevents fire & overheating.
- Verified Safety Hoverboard: Many Certified of hoverboard,comply with all U.S safety regulations,which is with the features of high-temperature resistance and fire resistance.
- 6.5 Inch Wheels : High intensity Led headlights provide you safer ride at night, now you can ride it to anywhere at any time. Awesome LED design with color lights, give you a colorful experience.
- Hoverbaord Built-in Wireless Speaker: Built-in wireless speaker can be easily connected to portable devices in second, just enjoy your favorite music or books without wearing headphones. Make your hoverboard the coolest one with extraordinary sound effect.
- Easy to Use & Stable Control: The hoverboard easy to learn and maintain balance. It can go straight, make a turn and rotate for 360 degrees locally, and is operated at will!
- Warranty: 3 months warranty and 24/7 email.
- Sturdy & Powerful: With the powerful dual motors of 400W, the Segway S-Plus can reach a max speed of 12.5 mph, travel up to 22 miles and accommodate a max load of 220 lbs after a single full charge. Ride your Segway S-Plus to enjoy the beautiful scenery
- Safety & Comfortable: Smart Battery Management System assures the battery safety and extends the battery life. Knee control bar allows for precise steering and easy lifting. The 11" pneumatic tires provide a comfortable and smoother ride on bumpy roads
- Remote Control & Auto-Follow Mode: Use the handle or the joystick on the multi-functional remote with intelligent chip to control the device. When you're not riding and need to have your hands free, turn on follow mode to have your S-Plus follow you
- Intelligent App Management: Download the Segway app for anti-theft function, speed limit and adjustment, vehicle self-diagnose, adjustable ambient lights, firmware upgrade, monitor battery status, vehicle remote control and more
- Sturdy & Durable: Strong and light metal deck to keep it lightweight but also sturdy for everyday use
- A Mix of Safety: We keep everyone’s safety in mind, our scooter allows you to cruise with ease with its durable and sturdy deck. Features a quick stop read brake as an added layer of safety.
- Easy to Use and Carry: The lightweight scooter requires no assembly and is ready to ride straight out of the box. The folding process is super easy and no tools needed! This scooter is perfect to pack in the car and take anywhere on the go. Just what you are looking for!
- Ride Effortlessly: Our kick scooter comes equipped with 120mm PVC wheels for a smooth and comfortable ride, making it suitable for many kinds of sidewalks. A textured non-slip deck that allows you to easily keep your footing as you glide around from place to place.
- Our deck offers good balance for you and helps you to easily step on and off the scooter. This feature allows you to comfortable shift your weight or change foot position.
- 【UNIQUE LIGHT WHEELS DESIGN & MUSIC SPEAKER】The Gotrax Glide Pro hoverboard stands out with its unique design featuring motorized wheels equipped with vibrant LED tunnel lights. 6 different color flashing randomly. Electroplating process gives its exterior shell a distinctive gloss and shine. The LED indicator lights provide easy monitoring of battery life and hoverboard status, offering peace of mind during your next adventure. Additionally, bulit-in music speaker make your ride less boring.
- 【POWERFUL JOYRIDE】The hoverboard is equipped with a 93.6Wh low self-discharge rate battery pack, providing up to 5 miles of continuous riding on a single charge. With dual 200W brushless high-powered motors, Glide Pro hoverboard delivers a smooth and quiet ride. Effortlessly glide across any surface with ease, reaching a top speed of up to 6.2mph. Please note that the travel distance may vary depending on the rider's weight and terrain.
- 【SAFETY ELECTRIC HOVERBOARDS】Gotrax Glide Pro self-balancing scooter is more than just stylish, it places utmost importance on safety. With its UL2272 certification, the hoverboard has undergone rigorous independent testing and certification to ensure compliance with electrical and fire safety standards. This dedication to safety ensures that every ride is worry-free, allowing you to confidently enjoy your hoverboard adventure without any concerns.
- 【EASY LEARN AND CONTROL】Glide Pro's user-friendly design lets beginners learn and control the hoverboard effortlessly. Its lightweight frame, non-slip footpad, and self-balancing system ensure confident straight rides, fast turns, and impressive 360° rotations. With 6.5'' solid tires, enjoy a smooth and stable ride. To start, place one foot on the pedal, then the other, keeping feet close to the wheel for stability. When dismounting, step off from behind the board for safety.
- 【IDEAL GIFT & SUPPORT SERVICE】Are you searching for a special gift for your loved ones? Look no further than the Gotrax Glide Pro hoverboard scooter! Suitable for all ages, bring joy and excitement to anyone who receives it. Furthermore, rest assured that we offer online customer service and a generous 180-day warranty to address any issues or concerns you may have.
Last update on 2024-03-04 at 10:15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API