If you just got a PlayStation 4 or if you just purchased one as a gift for someone else you are probably thinking about what games are the best ones to buy first.
On a similar note, maybe your kids are on break from school and they want to find some new games to play during their days off.
You might also be thinking ahead as you shop for games that you could buy for holiday presents.
Regardless of the situation, you are finding yourself in you want to know which PlayStation 4 games are the best and most popular options to consider. It is not only important to get a good/fun game, but you also want to have a game that is popular. With more and more games allowing for online play with multiple players getting a popular game is more important than ever. Getting a popular game increases the chances that your friends will also have the same game, which will allow you to play with them online and playing with friends is always more fun.
Before we show you our list of the most popular games we wanted to highlight a few games that we really enjoy. Some of these might be on your list and others may not, but all of them could be a great holiday or birthday gift. If you want to skip directly to the list of most popular games click here.
Here Are Some of Our Favorite PlayStation 4 Video Games
The Sonic the Hedgehog franchise is renowned for its fun and popular games, appealing to both long-time gamers and younger audiences alike. The latest entry in the series, Sonic Frontiers, was released on August 17, 2022, to critical acclaim.
Sonic the Hedgehog’s latest adventure finds him stranded on an ancient island full of unusual creatures. Sonic must search for the missing Chaos Emeralds and make his way across the massive Starfall Islands. This open zone platforming adventure is full of action, adventure, and mystery, and will require Sonic to use all of his speed and agility to navigate through it. With challenges and puzzles around every corner, this is one game that will be sure to please.
NBA 2K23 came out on September 8, 2022, and is considered by many to be the best basketball video game out there. If you are an NBA fan or a basketball fan in general NBA 2K23 should be on your must-have video game list. So if you are looking for a video game for that basketball fan in your life NBA 2K23 will give them hours of entertainment.
Released on October 7, 2021, Far Cry 6 is the sixth offering in the Far Cry series. The action takes place on the fictional Caribbean island of Yara, which is ruled as a dictatorship by “El Presidente” Antón Castillo who is raising his son Diego to follow in his rule. Players of Far Cry 6 play as Dani Rojas, who is a guerilla fighter trying to overthrow the Castillo regime. If you are looking for an action-adventure first-person shooter game set in an open-world environment Far Cry 6 is a popular option.
Here is a promotional video that gives you a feel for the game’s storyline.
If you are a Spider-Man fan or a fan of the Marvel Universe in general, September 4, 2019, was a big day. That is the day that Marvel’s Spider-Man: Game of The Year Edition video game was released exclusively on the PS4. Continuing to be discovered by both new and old PlayStation owners, this game has remained a top seller until this day. Enjoy a brand new Spider-Man adventure and experience action in a free-roaming open world.
The FIFA Soccer franchise from EA Sports is one of the most polished sports video games out there. FIFA 23 is a must-have video game for that soccer player in your life. It was released on September 27, 2022.
Over the years Star Wars has not only provided us with a multitude of movies, toys, and more recently spin-off series like The Mandalorian, it has also given us several Star Wars inspired video games. The latest of these video games is Star Wars: Squadrons, which was released on October 2, 2020. If you or the person you are shopping for have ever watched one of the Star Wars movies and ever wished that you could be a pilot in one of the X-wing fighters, TIE fighters, or ships from any of the other starfighter classes from both the New Republic and Imperial fleets, this is the video game for you. You can play the thrilling Star Wars single-player story set in the time after Return of the Jedi. You can also compete online in multiplayer modes (Dogfight, Fleet Battles, and Custom Matches).
The Official Reveal Trailer (below) gives you a great feel for what the game is like.
Every year football fans and video game fans eagerly await the latest version of the Madden NFL franchise. This year it arrived on August 19, 2022. Madden NFL 23 is sure to please both football and sports video game fans alike.
On April 5, 2022, the latest entry in the LEGO Star Wars video game series, The Skywalker Saga, was released for the PlayStation 4 console.
Regardless of whether you’re a child or a grownup Star Wars fan, LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga is a great choice. The game covers the entire nine-part Skywalker saga and is packed with puzzle games and playable characters. In addition, the game has a multiplayer mode, which is an excellent way for family members to play together.
If you are looking for a party game and like music and dancing, Just Dance 2022 is a terrific game to buy. This newly updated version of the popular franchise was released on November 4, 2021, and is great fun during holiday gatherings or other get-togethers.
Unfortunately, if you were hoping to find the Just Dance 2023 edition, you will be disappointed. The game’s developer, Ubisoft, has decided to stop making versions of Just Dance for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles. However, the Just Dance 2022 edition is still available and is just as much fun to play.
On November 10, 2020, Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, the latest offering in the Assassin’s Creed franchise, was released. In Assassin’s Creed Valhalla you become Eivor, a legendary Viking raider on a quest for glory. Explore England’s Dark Ages as you raid your enemies, grow your settlement, and build your political power. You will shape the growth of your character and your clan’s settlement with every choice you make.
Released on April 26, 2019, the PlayStation exclusive Days Gone is an apocalyptic thriller that is one of the best in the best in the zombie genre. Experience an incredibly realistic and detailed open-world experience as you play as Deacon St. John, a bounty hunter facing a struggle for survival while searching for a reason to live.
September 4, 2020, was a good day for Avengers fans as that was the day that Marvel’s Avengers video game was released. In this game, you get to play an original Avengers story that includes Captain America, Iron Man, the Hulk, Black Widow, and Thor with both single-player and co-operative gameplay. Assemble into a team of up to four players online and defend the Earth from escalating threats. Marvel’s Avengers is rated: T for Teen
The 18th and the newest game in the Call of Duty series is Call of Duty: Vanguard, which was just released on November 5, 2021. This visually impressive first-person shooter is set during WWII where you will experience combat around the globe.
Any game franchise that has been around this long has a large fanbase and with that fanbase comes high expectations meaning these Call of Duty (COD) games have a lot to live up to. To be fair we should mention that with COD: Vanguard some diehard fans feel that it is too similar to some past titles, while others believe the game offers too little innovation in the gameplay department. That said, between its campaign, multiplayer, and zombie modes Call of Duty: Vanguard most people will find that it is a very fun game to play.
Below is a trailer that gives you a feel for the game.
If you’re not into WWII and want a game based in a more recent time period, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, which was one of the most exciting combat games to be released in 2020 could be what you are looking for. Offering tactical, grounded gameplay and player choice, it is hard to go wrong with this franchise for online combat fans. This edition of the popular video game franchise takes place in the depths of the Cold War’s volatile geopolitical battle of the early 1980s and puts you in locations like East Berlin, Vietnam, Turkey, Soviet KGB headquarters, and more.
Here is a promotional video that gives you a flavor of what the game is like.
Between allowing players to turn their imaginations playing in creative mode and going on adventures in survival mode the action in Minecraft never ends. You can play alone or with friends in split-screen multiplayer and online. That is why Minecraft has been a favorite on the PS4 since 2014. Know that you need the PlayStation Plus Membership in order to play Minecraft online. Minecraft is rated: E for Everyone 10+
Looking for something different? Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America at the dawn of the modern age. Set in 1899 America, the end of the wild west era has begun as lawmen hunt down the last remaining outlaw gangs. Those who will not surrender or succumb are killed. Even though Red Dead Redemption 2 was released on October 26, 2018, this immersive game continues to be very popular and is one of the top-selling games for the 2021 holiday season.
Below is a list of the Top 10 Most Popular PlayStation 4 Games for 2023. Enjoy.
- Feel refined gameplay in the palm of your hands on both sides of the ball in NBA 2K23.
- Embark on a swashbuckling basketball journey aboard a spacious cruiseliner equipped with pristine courts, scenic views, and a boatload of rewards for you and your MyPLAYER to enjoy.
- Step back in time with era-specific visuals that captured Michael Jordan’s ascent from collegiate sensation to global icon with immersive Jordan Challenges chronicling his career-defining dominance.
- Ball without limits as you collect and assemble a bevy of legendary talent from any era in MyTEAM.
- Battle against over 20 players simultaneously in a massive multiplayer playground.
- Compete in an all-out mass start race—collide, grind, and fight your way to the finish
- Customize your character to show off your style to your friends or show up the competition.
- Bike, ski, snowboard, or wingsuit through a seamless open world in Career mode or multiplayer events.
- Go wild on the heights of iconic US national parks like Yosemite, Zion, and Bryce Canyon.
- Race across five massive overworlcl islands, each with their own unique action-platforming challenges and hidden secrets to uncover
- Blaze a trail as you see fit and discover side quests, solve puzzles, scale enormous structures, go fishing, and encounter a firendly face or two along the way
- Unlock Cyber Space levels featuring signature 3D platforming at Sonic speeds and a variety of challenges to test your skills like never before
- Use the all-new battle system and skill tree upgrades, combining moves such as dodges, parries, counters, combos, and the new Cyloop ability to take down mysterious foes
- Become Sonic and journey to uncover the mysteries of the remains of an ancient civilization plagued by robotic hordes
- GREAT VALUE: Four classic titles in one bundle, providing hours of entertainment
- MONOPOLY Plus: Play the Monopoly you know and love set in a beautiful 3D world: Watch the board come to life
- RISK: Compete with players from around the world in this classic game of global domination
- TRIVIAL PURSUIT Live: Featuring unique question formats and diverse rounds: It's never been so fun for everyone
- SCRABBLE: Challenge opponents in person or online, and test your word skills with new game modes
- Stray is a third-person cat adventure game set amidst the detailed neon-lit alleys of a decaying cybercity and the murky environments of its seedy underbelly
- Roam surroundings high and low, defend against unforeseen threats and solve the mysteries of this unwelcoming place inhabited by nothing but unassuming droids and dangerous creatures
- See the world through the eyes of a cat and interact with the environment in playful ways
- Be stealthy, nimble, silly, and sometimes as annoying as possible with the strange inhabitants of this world
- Comes with 6 full-color art cards
- We’re overwhelmed with gratitude for the response to Hogwarts Legacy from fans around the globe. The team is working hard to deliver the best possible experience on all platforms and we need more time to do this. Hogwarts Legacy will launch for PS4 and Xbox One May 5, 2023.
- EXPLORE AN OPEN WORLD. The wizarding world awaits you. Freely roam Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, the Forbidden Forest, and the surrounding Overland area.
- BE THE WITCH OR WIZARD YOU WANT TO BE. Learn spells, brew potions, grow plants, and tend to magical beasts along your journey. Get sorted into your house, forge relationships, and master skills to become the witch or wizard you want to be.
- EXPERIENCE A NEW WIZARDING WORLD ADVENTURE. Experience the wizarding world in an unexplored era to uncover a hidden truth from its past. Battle against trolls, Dark Wizards, goblins, and more as you face a dangerous villain threatening the fate of the wizarding world.
- Harsh Open World: Using the power of PlayStation 4 and unreal engine 4, days one offers an incredibly realistic and detailed open world experience. But be careful— day and night cycles, all affect gameplay and enemy behavior
- Brutal Sandbox Combat: Perfect your gameplay with an endless combination of strategy and play in every situation. Craft customized items using pieces and parts found in the field, from brutal melee weapons to traps and more
- Compelling Story: At its core, days gone is about survivors and what makes them human: desperation, loss, madness, betrayal, friendship, brotherhood, regret, love and hope. It’s about how hope never dies
- Play as Deacon St.John, a bounty hunter facing a brutal struggle for survival while searching for a reason to live
- Take your skills on the PGA TOUR and become the next FedExCup Champion as you compete against TOUR pros and establish new rivalries.
- For the first time, play as male and female pros including Tiger Woods, in online and local play. Also features licensed courses such as East Lake Golf Club, TPC Sawgrass, TPC Scottsdale, and more.
- Create your own dream course with the Course Designer, which features thousands of customizable objects and cross-platform sharing.
- Introducing Topgolf with competitive 1-4 player local and online play, bringing the range’s excitement and fun to both casual and seasoned players.
- Plus, run your own online societies to manage tournaments and seasons or test your skills against your friends in Divot Derby and Casual mode.
- Be the Vampyr - Fight and manipulate with supernatural abilities
- Feed to Survive - Be the savior and the stalker
- Shape London - a Web of inter-connected citizens reacts to your decisions
- Country of origin: United States
- Marketplace - Discover the latest community creations in the marketplace! Get unique maps, skins, and texture packs from your favorite creators.
- Slash commands - Tweak how the game plays: you can give items away, summon mobs, change the time of day, and more.
- Add-Ons - Customize your experience even further with free Add-Ons! If you're more tech-inclined, you can modify data-driven behaviours in the game to create new resource packs.
- Realms - Play with up to 10 friends cross-platform, anytime, anywhere on Realms, your own private server that we host for you. Try a free 30-day trial in-app. PS Plus required
- Multiplayer - Play with up to 4 friends..Servers - Join free massive multiplayer servers and play with thousands of others! Discover gigantic community-run worlds, compete in unique mini-games and socialize in lobbies full of new friends.
Last update on 2023-05-28 at 18:54 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API