If you just got a PlayStation 4 or if you just purchased one as a gift for someone else you are probably thinking about what games are the best ones to buy first.
On a similar note, maybe your kids are on break from school and they want to find some new games to play during their days off.
You might also be thinking ahead as you shop for games that you could buy for holiday presents.
Regardless of the situation, you are finding yourself in you want to know which PlayStation 4 games are the best and most popular options to consider. It is not only important to get a good/fun game, but you also want to have a game that is popular. With more and more games allowing for online play with multiple players getting a popular game is more important than ever. Getting a popular game increases the chances that your friends will also have the same game, which will allow you to play with them online and playing with friends is always more fun.
Before we show you our list of the most popular games we wanted to highlight a few games that we really enjoy. Some of these might be on your list and others may not, but all of them could be a great holiday or birthday gift. If you want to skip directly to the list of most popular games click here.
Here Are Some of Our Favorite PlayStation 4 Video Games
The Sonic the Hedgehog franchise is renowned for its fun and popular games, appealing to both long-time gamers and younger audiences alike. The latest entry in the series, Sonic Frontiers, was released on August 17, 2022, to critical acclaim.
Sonic the Hedgehog’s latest adventure finds him stranded on an ancient island full of unusual creatures. Sonic must search for the missing Chaos Emeralds and make his way across the massive Starfall Islands. This open zone platforming adventure is full of action, adventure, and mystery, and will require Sonic to use all of his speed and agility to navigate through it. With challenges and puzzles around every corner, this is one game that will be sure to please.
NBA 2K23 came out on September 8, 2022, and is considered by many to be the best basketball video game out there. If you are an NBA fan or a basketball fan in general NBA 2K23 should be on your must-have video game list. So if you are looking for a video game for that basketball fan in your life NBA 2K23 will give them hours of entertainment.
Released on October 7, 2021, Far Cry 6 is the sixth offering in the Far Cry series. The action takes place on the fictional Caribbean island of Yara, which is ruled as a dictatorship by “El Presidente” Antón Castillo who is raising his son Diego to follow in his rule. Players of Far Cry 6 play as Dani Rojas, who is a guerilla fighter trying to overthrow the Castillo regime. If you are looking for an action-adventure first-person shooter game set in an open-world environment Far Cry 6 is a popular option.
Here is a promotional video that gives you a feel for the game’s storyline.
If you are a Spider-Man fan or a fan of the Marvel Universe in general, September 4, 2019, was a big day. That is the day that Marvel’s Spider-Man: Game of The Year Edition video game was released exclusively on the PS4. Continuing to be discovered by both new and old PlayStation owners, this game has remained a top seller until this day. Enjoy a brand new Spider-Man adventure and experience action in a free-roaming open world.
The FIFA Soccer franchise from EA Sports is one of the most polished sports video games out there. FIFA 23 is a must-have video game for that soccer player in your life. It was released on September 27, 2022.
Over the years Star Wars has not only provided us with a multitude of movies, toys, and more recently spin-off series like The Mandalorian, it has also given us several Star Wars inspired video games. The latest of these video games is Star Wars: Squadrons, which was released on October 2, 2020. If you or the person you are shopping for have ever watched one of the Star Wars movies and ever wished that you could be a pilot in one of the X-wing fighters, TIE fighters, or ships from any of the other starfighter classes from both the New Republic and Imperial fleets, this is the video game for you. You can play the thrilling Star Wars single-player story set in the time after Return of the Jedi. You can also compete online in multiplayer modes (Dogfight, Fleet Battles, and Custom Matches).
The Official Reveal Trailer (below) gives you a great feel for what the game is like.
Every year football fans and video game fans eagerly await the latest version of the Madden NFL franchise. This year it arrived on August 19, 2022. Madden NFL 23 is sure to please both football and sports video game fans alike.
On April 5, 2022, the latest entry in the LEGO Star Wars video game series, The Skywalker Saga, was released for the PlayStation 4 console.
Regardless of whether you’re a child or a grownup Star Wars fan, LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga is a great choice. The game covers the entire nine-part Skywalker saga and is packed with puzzle games and playable characters. In addition, the game has a multiplayer mode, which is an excellent way for family members to play together.
If you are looking for a party game and like music and dancing, Just Dance 2022 is a terrific game to buy. This newly updated version of the popular franchise was released on November 4, 2021, and is great fun during holiday gatherings or other get-togethers.
Unfortunately, if you were hoping to find the Just Dance 2023 edition, you will be disappointed. The game’s developer, Ubisoft, has decided to stop making versions of Just Dance for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles. However, the Just Dance 2022 edition is still available and is just as much fun to play.
On November 10, 2020, Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, the latest offering in the Assassin’s Creed franchise, was released. In Assassin’s Creed Valhalla you become Eivor, a legendary Viking raider on a quest for glory. Explore England’s Dark Ages as you raid your enemies, grow your settlement, and build your political power. You will shape the growth of your character and your clan’s settlement with every choice you make.
Released on April 26, 2019, the PlayStation exclusive Days Gone is an apocalyptic thriller that is one of the best in the best in the zombie genre. Experience an incredibly realistic and detailed open-world experience as you play as Deacon St. John, a bounty hunter facing a struggle for survival while searching for a reason to live.
September 4, 2020, was a good day for Avengers fans as that was the day that Marvel’s Avengers video game was released. In this game, you get to play an original Avengers story that includes Captain America, Iron Man, the Hulk, Black Widow, and Thor with both single-player and co-operative gameplay. Assemble into a team of up to four players online and defend the Earth from escalating threats. Marvel’s Avengers is rated: T for Teen
The 18th and the newest game in the Call of Duty series is Call of Duty: Vanguard, which was just released on November 5, 2021. This visually impressive first-person shooter is set during WWII where you will experience combat around the globe.
Any game franchise that has been around this long has a large fanbase and with that fanbase comes high expectations meaning these Call of Duty (COD) games have a lot to live up to. To be fair we should mention that with COD: Vanguard some diehard fans feel that it is too similar to some past titles, while others believe the game offers too little innovation in the gameplay department. That said, between its campaign, multiplayer, and zombie modes Call of Duty: Vanguard most people will find that it is a very fun game to play.
Below is a trailer that gives you a feel for the game.
If you’re not into WWII and want a game based in a more recent time period, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, which was one of the most exciting combat games to be released in 2020 could be what you are looking for. Offering tactical, grounded gameplay and player choice, it is hard to go wrong with this franchise for online combat fans. This edition of the popular video game franchise takes place in the depths of the Cold War’s volatile geopolitical battle of the early 1980s and puts you in locations like East Berlin, Vietnam, Turkey, Soviet KGB headquarters, and more.
Here is a promotional video that gives you a flavor of what the game is like.
Between allowing players to turn their imaginations playing in creative mode and going on adventures in survival mode the action in Minecraft never ends. You can play alone or with friends in split-screen multiplayer and online. That is why Minecraft has been a favorite on the PS4 since 2014. Know that you need the PlayStation Plus Membership in order to play Minecraft online. Minecraft is rated: E for Everyone 10+
Looking for something different? Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America at the dawn of the modern age. Set in 1899 America, the end of the wild west era has begun as lawmen hunt down the last remaining outlaw gangs. Those who will not surrender or succumb are killed. Even though Red Dead Redemption 2 was released on October 26, 2018, this immersive game continues to be very popular and is one of the top-selling games for the 2021 holiday season.
Below is a list of the Top 10 Most Popular PlayStation 4 Games for 2023. Enjoy.
- LEAD YOUR LEGACY – Simulate a full NFL career as a player, coach or owner with single-player and multiplayer online-connected leagues and lead your team to greatness.
- NEXT LEVEL TEAM BUILDING – Develop and progress your dream fantasy roster of current NFL stars and Hall of Fame legends faster with new seasons of content throughout the year.
- UNLEASH YOUR X-FACTORS – Squad up and throw down in Madden NFL 24’s fast co-op eliminator mode where Superstar X-Factor abilities are always on.
- PLAY NOW – Compete in Head-to-Head online and offline games or single player offline against the CPU. Play your way with settings including quarter length, rules, stadiums, and uniforms.
- DUAL ENTITLEMENT - Madden NFL 24 includes Dual Entitlement, which lets you upgrade your copy of Madden NFL 24 from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5. *Conditions apply.
- Crewmate Edition Includes: See description below for complete details
- Life as a Crewmate: Complete all your tasks on the ship to win but watch out for Impostors! Report dead bodies and call emergency meetings to vote the Impostors out. Hope you chose correctly
- Play as an Impostor: Cause chaos, sneak around, and frame innocent bystanders! Winning involves killing off every Crewmate - think you’re a master of sabotage
- Customization: Choose how you want to play! Add more impostors, tasks, decrease visibility and more. All in style as you get to choose your favorite color, outfit, and hat
- Cross-platform: Play with your friends between PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, PC, Android, and iOS
- Drifting - Drift like crazy to charge your Boost
- Boosting - Use your Boost to Blast through loops
- Gravity - gravity will affect races, be fast or fall!
- EA SPORTS FC 24 is the next chapter in a more innovative future of football.
- The revolutionized Frostbite Engine delivers The World’s Game in lifelike detail, bringing a new level of immersion to each match.
- 19,000+ fully licensed players, 700+ teams, and 30+ leagues playing together in the most authentic football experience ever created.
- Feel closer to the game with three cutting-edge technologies powering unparalleled realism in every match.
- Some features may require an internet connection and an online subscription.
- EA SPORTS NHL 24’s all-new gameplay features bring authentic on-ice action to life.
- Experience the rush and fatigue of a high-pressure game with the Exhaust Engine, where sustained pressure in the attack zone leads to new game-changing effects.
- Chel is more connected than ever with cross-play in all online team play modes, along with HUT Moments, which lets you recreate classic moments in hockey history and today’s biggest plays.
- Flex Moments introduces 75+ new goal celebrations, and a wholly refreshed presentation complements an enriched crowd atmosphere that makes playing the game feel like you’re at the game.
- Some features may require an internet connection and an online subscription.
- Marketplace - Discover the latest community creations in the marketplace! Get unique maps, skins, and texture packs from your favorite creators.
- Slash commands - Tweak how the game plays: you can give items away, summon mobs, change the time of day, and more.
- Add-Ons - Customize your experience even further with free Add-Ons! If you're more tech-inclined, you can modify data-driven behaviours in the game to create new resource packs.
- Realms - Play with up to 10 friends cross-platform, anytime, anywhere on Realms, your own private server that we host for you. Try a free 30-day trial in-app. PS Plus required
- Multiplayer - Play with up to 4 friends..Servers - Join free massive multiplayer servers and play with thousands of others! Discover gigantic community-run worlds, compete in unique mini-games and socialize in lobbies full of new friends.
- Hogwarts Legacy is an open-world action RPG set in the world introduced in the Harry Potter books; Explore and discover magical beasts, customize your character and craft potions, master spell casting, upgrade talents and become the wizard you want to be
- Experience Hogwarts in the 1800s; Make allies, battle Dark wizards, and ultimately decide the fate of the wizarding world; Your legacy is what you make of it; Live the Unwritten
- Import EU Version Region Free PEGI Version
- The criminal racing organization SH1FT3R has returned and they're racing for the ultimate prize - An Invisible, untraceable high-tech vehicle.
- It takes more than speed to win this combat racing challenge. Armed with 15 spy Gear weapons inspired by the Netflix original Series, you'll need to Blast past your rivals to earn victory.
- Show the whole world you're the fastest, coolest, and most talented racer! Customize your vehicle with unlockable Skins and race against online opponents, ai-controlled drivers, and Your friends with couch co-op and online multiplayer.
- Miles Morales discovers explosive powers that set him apart from his mentor, Peter Parker. Master his unique, bio-electric Venom blast attacks and covert camouflage power alongside spectacular web-slinging Acrobatics, gadgets and skills.
- a fierce war for control of Marvel's new York has broken out between a devious energy Corporation and a high-tech criminal army. With his new home at the heart of the battle, miles learns the cost of becoming a hero as he decides what he's willing to sacrifice for the greater good
- A fierce war for control of Marvel's new York has broken out between a devious energy Corporation and a high-tech criminal army. With his new home at the heart of the battle, miles learns the cost of becoming a hero as he decides what he's willing to sacrifice for the greater good.
- Available on September 4th, 2020 for PlayStation 4, plus PlayStation 5 owners can upgrade to the PS5 version of the game at no additional cost; Players can also enjoy cross-gen play between PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5
- Marvel’s Avengers is a unique take on these iconic Super Heroes, including Captain America, Iron Man, the Hulk, Black Widow, and Thor; Unlock powerful skills and new gear to build your ideal version of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes
- Up to 4 players can assemble online to defend the Earth from escalating threats
- (Playback Language)
Last update on 2023-12-06 at 03:01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API