One of the most popular game consoles over the last several years is the Xbox One. With the release of the console in 2013, Microsoft introduced a number of new features to the gaming console market as they aimed to make the Xbox One an all-in-one home entertainment system. One of the most notable of these features was the inclusion of a Blu-ray optical drive.
Since that time Blu-ray discs have only gained in popularity, leading many gamers and home theater enthusiasts to wonder if the Xbox One can play Blu-ray discs. While the short answer to this question is yes, there are some caveats. Keep reading as we discuss the capabilities of each version of the Xbox One console when it comes to Blu-ray discs and explain all you need to know about playing Blu-ray discs on an Xbox One.
Table of Contents
What Type of Discs Can the Xbox One Play?
With the exception of the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition, which did not include an optical disc drive, the Xbox One family of consoles supports a wide variety of disc formats. The Xbox One S, Xbox One X, and original Xbox One all support Blu-ray discs, DVDs, and CDs in addition to the Xbox One game discs and any backward compatible titles from previous generations of the console.
The Xbox One S and Xbox One X, which were released after the original Xbox One, also support 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, allowing you to enjoy your favorite movies in stunning detail.
How Region Coding for Blu-Ray Discs Impacts Xbox One Users
Yes, the Xbox One does play Blu-Ray discs, but you should be aware of the region coding.
Region Coding for Blu-Ray discs is a system that divides the world into different regions. Most Blu-ray discs are region coded to indicate which region they belong to. This means that a disc purchased in one region will not play on a device or console from another region. This can be problematic for Xbox One users who want to play Blu-ray movies from different regions.
It is probably also worth pointing out that most DVDs are also region coded, unlike Ultra HD Blu-ray movies, music CDs, and Xbox One game discs which are region-free and can be played no matter where they come from.
How to Play a Blu-Ray Disc on the Xbox One
To play a Blu-Ray disc on your Xbox One for the first time simply follow these quick and easy steps.:
1) Insert the disc into the console’s optical drive.
2) Wait for the Blu-ray Player app to appear and select it.
3) Once on the Blu-ray Player app details page select Install.
4) After the app is successfully installed the disc will then start playing automatically.
After the Blu-ray Player app is installed, you can find it on your Home screen or by looking through My games & apps. However, you don’t need to manually launch the Blu-ray Player app in order to watch Blu-ray or DVD movies. All you need to do is insert them into your Xbox One and the console will recognize the disc and launch the app automatically.
How to Troubleshoot Any Issues With Playing Blu-ray Discs on the Xbox One
If you are having a hard time getting a Blu-ray disc to play on your Xbox One there are a few easy things you can do to troubleshoot the problem.
- Check the condition of the disc. – The first thing you want to check is to make sure that the disc was inserted correctly into the console’s optical disc drive. Assuming the disc was put in correctly, you want to make ensure that the disc is clean and free of any scratches or other damage that might prevent it from being played by the Xbox One.
- Try playing the disc in another device. – If the disc appears to be in good condition, you may want to attempt to use it in another device. In the event that the other device is unable to play the disc, it is likely due to an issue with the disc itself. However, if the Blu-ray is playable on the other device, you should focus on troubleshooting your Xbox One.
- Try the following things with your Xbox One:
- Reboot the console to see if that remedies the situation.
- Ensure any available system updates and app updates have been installed.
- Try downloading an alternate app to play the Blu-ray disc.
- Contact Xbox Support for assistance. – If none of the above tips work out, try contacting Xbox Support a shout and see if they can provide some assistance.
Does Every Version of the Xbox One Have a Disc Drive to Play Blu-Ray Movies?
The original version of the Xbox One console came equipped with a Blu-ray optical drive while the Xbox One S and the Xbox One X each came with an Ultra HD Blu-ray drive making all three versions of the console able to play Blu-ray movies. However, the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition, which came out in 2019, was made specifically for digital game downloads, so it doesn’t have a disc drive, which means it won’t play Blu-ray discs or any other type of disc-based media.
To conclude, with the exception of the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition, all the other versions of the Xbox One consoles do indeed play Blu-ray discs. If you’re looking for a console that can provide you with an all-around entertainment solution, the Xbox One is a great choice – it can even stream movies and TV shows from popular streaming services and is also backward compatible with Xbox 360 games, meaning you can play your old favorites without having to hold onto your old console. Whether you’re a casual gamer or a hardcore enthusiast, the Xbox One has plenty to offer.