If you, or the person you are shopping for, just got a Nintendo Switch you are probably thinking about what games are the best ones to buy first.
Maybe your kids are on break from school and they want to find some new games to play during their days off.
You might also be trying to think ahead and shopping for games that you could give for holiday gifts or birthday presents.
Regardless of your situation, you want to know which Nintendo Switch games are considered to be the best and which games are the most popular options to consider. It is not only important to get a good/fun game, but as a gamer, you also want to have a game that is popular with your friends. With more and more games incorporating online play with multiple players, getting a popular game is more important than ever. Getting a popular game increases the chances that your friends will also have the same game, which will allow you to play with them online, and being able to play your game with friends is always more fun.
Before we show you our list of the most popular games for the Nintendo Switch we wanted to highlight a few games that we really enjoy. Some of these might already be on your list and others may not, but all of them could be great gifts. If you want to skip directly to the list of most popular games click here.
Here Are Some of Our Favorite Nintendo Switch Video Games
If you are looking for a party game and like music and dancing, Just Dance 2022 is a terrific game to consider. Released on November 4, 2021, this new version is great fun during holiday gatherings or other get-togethers.
|Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon|
On November 19, 2021, the latest Pokémon titles for the Nintendo Switch hit store shelves and became available at online retailers. Rated E for Everyone Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl both of these games are hugely popular among Pokémon fans of all ages. As with other Pokémon games that are released in pairs, the big difference between Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl is that each game has some Pokémon that are exclusive to that version. So you shouldn’t feel required to buy both or feel that you are missing out if you don’t have both games.
Hands down one of the hottest games for the Nintendo Switch is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Not only does this version of the classic game come with new features, but this is the first time Super Smash Bros. has been released for the Switch. Play any way you want—locally, online, in TV mode, Tabletop mode, Handheld mode, or even with GameCube Controllers. The new stages and fighters are joined by the combined rosters of every past Super Smash Bros. game! Having been released on December 7, 2018, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is still insanely popular and is on the top of a lot of gamer’s wish list.
Prior to its release Animal Crossing: New Horizons, which is a reboot of a classic Nintendo game, was one of the most anticipated games for the Nintendo Switch in quite some time. After its release on March 202, 2020, Animal Crossing: New Horizons immediately became one of the best selling Nintendo Switch games. In Animal Crossing: New Horizons you can escape to a deserted island with a wealth of natural resources, that allows you to create everything you need as you unleash your creativity as you customize your character, home, decorations, and even the landscape itself. Animal Crossing: New Horizons is one of those rare video games that can be played for both fun and relaxation. It is rated E for Everyone.
One of the most fun multiplayer games out there is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Mario Kart first appeared in 1992 with Super Mario Kart and the Mario Kart franchise has been a fan favorite ever since. You can play locally with up to 4 people in multiplayer TV Mode or compete against up to 12 players online. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is one of the reasons why the Nintendo Switch is such a fun system to have.
If you or the person you are shopping for are a Mario Kart fan Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit could be just the game you are looking for. Unlike other games you could buy Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit is so much more than a video game. With the Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit you can turn your home into a Mario Kart course of your own design. After creating the course you can control your Kart with your Nintendo Switch and then watch as it reacts to what’s happening in the game as you boost and drift your way to victory.
The course actually comes to life on-screen with a view from right behind the driver’s seat. You can either play by yourself or with up to 3 friends as long as each person has their own Nintendo Switch system and the Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit game with the included Mario kart or Luigi kart. Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit was released on October 16, 2020. It is rated E for Everyone.
Here is a video that shows you what to expect from Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit:
A new game that has gotten a lot of buzz in 2021 is Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain, which is set to be released on December 3, 2021. Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain is fun for the whole family as up to 4 people can compete in a series of fun activities. Set your difficulty level and get ready to have fun competing against friends and family at home or test yourself against people from around the world.
Below is a video showing you a bit of what to expect from Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain.
With Super Mario Maker 2, which was released on June 28, 2019, you can play an almost unlimited number of Super Mario courses. You can start out with the 100+ built-in courses in the single-player story mode and move on to use a wide range of parts, tools, and customization options to create your own side-scrolling Super Mario courses. Then if you have a Nintendo Switch Online membership, you can share your courses, access courses made by others, enjoy the online multiplayer play, and more.
Released on October 18, 2019, Ring Fit Adventure is another very unique video game as it is an adventure game that is also a great workout. In this adventure game, you explore a huge fantasy world to defeat a bodybuilding dragon and his minions using exercises. Using the Ring-Con and Leg Strap, measure your real-world actions and help turn them into in-game movements. If you want to compete against other people you can pass around the Ring-Con and play the included minigames. Ring Fit Adventure is rated E 10+ so it will be fun for almost everyone regardless of skill level.
The FIFA Soccer franchise from EA Sports continues to be one of the most polished sports video games out there. FIFA 22 is a must-have video game for that soccer player in your life. It was released on October 1, 2021.
NBA 2K22 came out on September 10, 2021, and is considered by many to be the best basketball video game out there. If you are an NBA fan or a basketball fan in general NBA 2K22 should be on your must-have video game list. So if you are looking for a video game for that basketball fan in your life NBA 2K22 will give them hours of entertainment.
Zelda fans were excited to see that a new game was released on September 20, 2019. In this new release of one of the most beloved The Legend of Zelda games, you play as Link, who awakens in a strange land away from Hyrule, where animals talk and monsters are abound. As you uncover the truth behind your whereabouts and rouse the legendary Wind Fish, you will explore Koholint Island and all its trap-ridden dungeons. Since its release Legend of Zelda Link’s Awakening has proved to be hugely popular with longtime Zelda fans and newcomers alike as it continues to be a top seller. It is rated E for Everyone.
Minecraft has made its’ way to the Switch. Between allowing players to unleash their creativity by playing in creative mode and going on adventures in survival mode, the action never ends. You can play alone or with friends in split-screen multiplayer and online. Know that you will need the Nintendo Switch Online service in order to play Minecraft online.
Fans of the Zelda games will enjoy the beautiful The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. In the Breath of the Wild after waking from a 100-year slumber, Link must explore the visually stunning wild to regain his memories and save Hyrule.
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition received rave reviews upon its release on May 28, 2020, and is still found on bestseller lists. Rated T for Teens this edition of the memorable Japanese role-playing game (JRPG) has been given a great visual upgrade from previous versions as it is now in HD. The premise of the game has your home being attacked by mechanical invaders known as the Mechon you and your friends set out on a quest as you travel through an incredible and unique world. If you want to try something that is a bit different than a lot of the other titles available for the Nintendo Switch, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition could be what you are looking for.
Luigi’s Mansion 3 was released on October 31, 2019. In this game, Luigi has been invited to an otherworldly hotel and his friends have gone missing. Now Luigi needs to catch ghosts and solve puzzles to find Mario and friends in the Last Resort hotel. It is up to Luigi if he and his friends are going to check out in one piece.
1-2 Switch was one of the original games that came out for the Switch in 2017. 1-2 Switch is still a very fun party game. It has several different games to choose from and gives players a new play style where players look at each other instead of the screen. In addition, watching people play 1-2 Switch is almost as fun as playing it yourself.
Below is a list of the Top 10 Most Popular Nintendo Switch Games for 2022. Enjoy.
- Swing, kick, spike, and bowl your way to victory in 6 sports
- Play Soccer, Volleyball, Bowling, Tennis, Badminton and Chambara (swordplay)
- Motion controls**** will get you moving and help turn your real-world actions into in-game movements
- Use the Leg Strap accessory to kick the ball in a Soccer Shoot-Out or, after a free update this summer***, in Soccer matches as well
- Play online** and challenge random opponents to earn in-game rewards like clothing, gear and much more or reach the Pro League
- Compatible with Nintendo Switch only
- English (Subtitle)
- Bring the party on 5 classic boards from the Nintendo 64 Mario Party games
- Show your friends and family who’s boss in 100 minigames from throughout the Mario Party series
- All game modes can be played online
- Matches with friends in board game mode are saved after each turn both locally and online—pick up where you left off
- Play using a single Joy-Con controller, two Joy-Con with the Joy-Con grip accessory, Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, or Nintendo Switch Lite system
- Join Kirby in an unforgettable journey on a delightful 3D platforming adventure
- Explore a mysterious world with abandoned structures, remnants of a past civilization
- Copy enemies’ abilities like the new Drill and Ranger and use them to attack and explore. They can even be evolved to become stronger.
- Inhale real-world objects and transform using Mouthful Mode—swallowing a vending machine will allow you to shoot out cans
- Bring along a second player to control Bandana Waddle Dee and take on the forgotten world together
- Minecraft is a game about placing blocks and going on adventures
- Explore randomly generated worlds and build amazing things from the simplest of homes to the grandest of castles
- Play in creative mode with unlimited resources or mine deep into the world in survival mode, crafting weapons and armor to fend off the dangerous mobs
- Play on the go in handheld or tabletop modes
- Includes Super Mario Mash-Up, Natural Texture Pack, Biome Settlers Skin Pack, Battle & Beasts Skin Pack, Campfire Tales Skin Pack; Compatible with Nintendo Switch only
- New stages and fighters are joined by the combined rosters of every past Super Smash Bros. Game
- Challenge others anytime, anywhere, whether you're on the couch or on the go
- Play any way you want—locally, online, in TV mode, Tabletop mode, Handheld mode, or even with GameCube Controllers
- Fight faster and smarter with new and returning techniques, like the perfect shield and directional air dodge
- Face off in 2-4 player battles, or play against the computer
- Action meets RPG in this new take on the Pokémon series
- Study Pokémon behaviors, sneak up on them, and toss a well-aimed Poké Ball to catch them
- Unleash moves in the speedy agile style or the powerful strong style in battles
- Travel to the Hisui region—the Sinnoh of old—and build the region’s first Pokédex
- Learn about the Mythical Pokémon Arceus, the key to this mysterious tale
- Grand Theft Auto III: It all starts in Liberty City. With the revolutionary freedom to go anywhere and jack anyone, Grand Theft Auto III puts the center of the criminal underworld at your fingertips, if you have enough guts to take it.
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City: Welcome to the 1980s. From the decade of big hair and pastel suits comes the story of one man's rise to the top of the criminal pile.
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: Five years ago, Carl 'CJ' Johnson escaped the haze of Los Santos, San Andreas...a city tearing itself apart with gang trouble, drugs, and corruption.
- Compatible with Nintendo Switch only
- Build your community from scratch on a deserted island brimming with possibility; Create your personal getaway and customize your character, home, decorations, and even the landscape itself
- Collect materials to construct everything from furniture to tools. Then, use what you create to give your island a personal touch
- Watch as the time of day and seasons match real life—even your hemisphere. Each day holds potential for surprises and discoveries
- Get to know the island residents, garden, fish, decorate, hunt for fossils, and more.
- Show off your paradise – Play on the same system with a total of 4 people, or play together online or over local wireless for fun with up to 8 players
Last update on 2022-06-13 at 12:22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API