Maybe you are planning on taking a trip to another part of the world that you heard uses bidets. Maybe you are an environmentalist and heard that using a bidet is better for the environment. Maybe you are tired of constantly buying expensive toilet paper whenever you go to the store.
Maybe you got caught up in the middle of the COVID-19 crisis and have a hard time finding toilet paper and are looking for other options and you heard about bidets. Or maybe you just don’t feel clean after using the bathroom and are wondering what else you can do.
So what is a bidet anyway? No matter which of the above situations you are in, you probably want to learn more about bidets and figure out if they might be a good option for you and your family.
Here is what you need to know.
Table of Contents
What is a Bidet?
A bidet is a plumbing fixture that helps people with personal hygiene by allowing them to use water to wash their privates after going to the bathroom.
The word bidet in French means “pony”, which as it relates to this bathroom fixture seems appropriate since a person “rides” or straddles a bidet in a way that is similar to what they would do if they were riding a pony.
Why Do People Use Bidets?
When first thinking about bidets you might think to yourself, “Why would I use a bidet? Why wouldn’t I just use toilet paper?”
Actually there are several reasons why people might choose to use, or own, a bidet.
If you are an environmentalist you might want to use a bidet in an effort to greatly reduce or eliminate toilet paper usage at your home. So how big of an environmental issue is toilet paper use? In 2009 Scientific American reported that “Americans use 36.5 billion rolls of toilet paper every year, representing the pulping of some 15 million trees.” As you might imagine those numbers will only increase as the population continues to grow.
Other people might choose to use a bidet for health reasons. For example, people with hemorrhoids might find that cleaning themself up after using the bathroom can cause irritation. Using a bidet can help these people improve their hygiene without the irritation.
Still, other people prefer to use a bidet for religious or cultural reasons. Bidets are very common in the Arab States, West Africa, and southern Europe. In fact, there are certain places in the world that require bidets to be installed in newly constructed or renovated bathrooms.
Types of Bidets
Over time bidets have evolved and they don’t just refer to one specific type of fixture anymore. Depending on how much space you have, what features you want, and your budget there are several options to choose from.
If you hear someone talking about a ceramic bidet they are referring to a standalone unit in the bathroom. These are separate from the toilet, which means that they take up more space in the bathroom. Ceramic bidets are what most people envision when talking or thinking about bidets.
To install a ceramic bidet in an existing home means that you will need to have:
- The extra space to install this additional fixture.
- The willingness and ability to make changes to your plumbing to add the water lines and drain that the bidet will need.
Installing a ceramic bidet in a new home construction is much easier to do. It is much simpler and cost effective to run the necessary plumbing when the home is being built. That being said, you still need to have the necessary space available/allocated in your floor plan to place this additional fixture in your bathroom.
Ceramic bidets come in two types:
Floor mounted bidets are probably the most common type of ceramic bidet. They are mounted sturdily onto the floor similar to the way your toilet is.
Wall mounted bidets function just like their floor mount counterparts with the only difference being that they are mounted on the wall instead of the floor. Reasons why you might want a wall mounted bidet include being easier to clean. Another reason some people prefer a wall mounted unit is to save space in the bathroom by having the bidet against the wall as compared to the floor mounted models, which have a space between the bidet and the wall.
Toilets with Built-in Bidets
These bidet toilet combos are perfect for people who are building a home or remodeling their bathroom and would like a bidet, but don’t have the space to dedicate to a stand alone bidet.
These units don’t just save space, but they are a high quality and durable option as well. Since the bidet is built right into the toilet problems like the toilet seat or bidet coming loose are rare.
The advantages of these toilets don’t stop at their durability. They are very stylish when compared to some of the other options that are out there. Because it comes as one integrated unit you won’t have to worry about things like the toilet seat not matching the shape of your toilet or being a mismatched color.
Toilet Seat Bidets (Bidet Toilet Seat)
Toilet seat bidets are pretty much what you might think they are. They are a special toilet seat that replaces the seat that is already on your toilet and has the bidet built into the bottom of the seat. Much like toilets with built-in bidets a toilet seat bidet allows you to save space and add a bidet in your bathroom without having to buy a separate ceramic bidet. However, unlike toilets with built-in bidets, you can buy a toilet seat bidet for a fraction of the price.
In addition to being more affordable than buying a ceramic bidet or toilets with integrated bidet, toilet seat bidets are much easier to install. In fact, this is a project that most do it yourselfers would feel very comfortable doing.
Toilet seat bidets usually are operated by a control panel that is located off to the side of the seat while some models even come with a remote control. Speaking of features, some models are relatively basic while other models are loaded with features that you might not even expect. It all depends on how much money you want to spend.
When looking to buy a toilet seat bidet know that there are two types of models available, electric and non-electric.
When you shop for toilet seat bidets you will immediately see that the non-electric models are the most affordable options. They come with options such as adjustable pressure, adjustable and retractable spray nozzles, rear cleaning, and feminine wash.
A few of the non-electric models will offer the option of warm water, which is a nice feature, but in order to do that you will need to be able to access a hot water line. In homes that are already finished the cost of getting access to a hot water line might not make sense.
If you want a bidet that uses warm water most people will look at choosing an electric model.
The electric toilet seat bidets represent a step up in price, but with this increased price you open up a whole new world of available features. In addition to warm water, you can get features such as a heated seat, remote control, nightlight, automatic deodorization, and a warm air dryer for when you are done.
These electric toilet seat bidets might be a little more complex compared to their non-electric counterparts. That being said, installing these models is still something most people will be able to easily do themselves.
Electric toilet seat bidets are a very popular option for most people. If you think that an electric toilet seat bidet is a good option for you check out our article on heated toilet seats (yes, they all have heated seats) where we review the top models and give you a buying guide to help you make your decision of which model to purchase easier.
One of the problems that some people experience with toilet seat bidets is finding one that matches the color and or shape of the toilet they are going to add it onto.
Bidet attachments are different from toilet seat bidets in that instead of replacing your existing toilet seat you can install them securely underneath your current toilet seat.
Most bidet attachments are going to be cold water only and are non-electric. If you want to get a model with warm water you will need to be able to access the hot water line. If that isn’t easily done and you still want warm water you might want to consider stepping up to an electric toilet seat bidet.
Handheld bidets, which you might also see referred to as bidet faucets, bidet sprayers, or shattaf, look a lot like a kitchen sink sprayer.
This type of bidet is very popular in many Middle Eastern homes. Plus it is definitely the most affordable bidet option that you can add to your bathroom.
The pros of this type of bidet is the affordability, ease of installation, and the ability to easily control the water pressure. The cons include the fact that they are more cumbersome to use and only have a cold water option unless you buy a model that can hook up to your hot water line.
While not ideal for everyday home use, portable bidets are fantastic for people who are on the go and away from home where a bidet isn’t available. They are essentially a water bottle with an angled nozzle for easy cleaning.
Portable bidets are very affordable, but if for just a few extra dollars you can upgrade to a battery powered model, which can provide a better spray. Investing in a battery powered model might be worth it if you expect to end up needing to use it frequently.
How to Use a Bidet
This is a great quick video that shows how to use a traditional ceramic bidet.
This video shows how to use a toilet that has a bidet attachment added to it. How you would use this type of bidet is similar to how you would use a toilet that has an integrated bidet or how you would use a toilet that has been fitted with a bidet toilet seat.
How Much Do Bidets Cost
There is always a great range in prices for each type of bidet option. That being said, if you are on a budget we have tried to break it down for you. Here is a breakdown of your bidet options from most to least expensive.
- toilets with built-in bidets – These toilets can start as low as $700 and go up to a few thousand dollars. While they sound expensive at first glance they can often be competitive with the price of a toilet that has a high quality toilet seat bidet added on.
- ceramic bidets – Most of these stand alone models will fall between $180 – $400.
- toilet seat bidets – Depending on if you get an electric or non-electric model and which features you choose toilet seat bidets can range from $125 to $700+. The majority of models are priced at $400 and below.
- bidet attachments – This super affordable option has most models ranging between $30 – $100 depending on the features.
- handheld bidets – While there are always exceptions the majority of these handheld bidets will fall in the $25 – $70 range.
- portable bidets – These travel companions can be less than $5 and go up to $50 or more if you decide you want an electric model.
Conclusion – Which One Is Best For You?
Regardless of your budget and the space you have available in your bathroom there is a bidet option that can work for you with the features you want.
One big thing to remember to think about first is whether or not you want a bidet that can spray warm. Once you have made that decision the rest of the buying process will become a lot easier.
Whatever option you choose you will be feeling fresh and clean as you save money on toilet paper.
Here are the Top 10 Bestselling Bidet Products on Amazon:
- THE ULTIMATE VALUE – With a sleek design and high-quality parts, our bidet attachment will give your bathroom a next-level look. Constructed with high-pressure valves with metal-ceramic cores and steel hoses instead of plastic.
- HYGIENIC PROTECTION – The guard gate is designed to shield the nozzles for your ultimate sanitary experience. The nozzles automatically retract behind the guard gate after each wash to ensure it is protected until your next use.
- AN EASY HOME UPGRADE – Elevating your home with a luxurious element has never been easier. Includes ALL PARTS AND TOOLS to get your bidet up and running in minutes. Easily attaches to and detaches from any standard two-piece toilet.
- SAVE MONEY EVERY USE – Save money (and trees!) on toilet paper. Cleaning with our bidet is gentle on your skin and sustainable for the planet.
- 8-MONTH WARRANTY – Our world-class Customer Care team is always here to make sure you are 100% satisfied, so anytime you have problems or concerns about the products, we are just one call away. Register your bidet online and get an extended warranty.
- 【Two spraying modes】- This bidet attachment for toilet dual-nozzle offers a refreshing stream of clean water providing thorough cleansing for men and women. Bidets are gentler and more hygienic than toilet paper.
- 【Adjustable water pressure】- The chrome-plated control dial allows for adjustable water pressure and spray, ideal for those with mobility restrictions. All you have to do is select the ideal water pressure and cleaning mode.
- 【More Durable】- Plastic inlets found on other toilet bidet are worn easily and prone to leaking as time passes. The Veken toilet water spray has no such issues, with a high quality stainless steel water inlet that is more durable and ensures a water-tight connection between the bidet and the hose.
- 【Thin and Compatible】- This bidet sprayer for toilet is only a quarter-inch thick! No need to worry about toilet paper shortages with a bidet! The unique design provides support, maintains the toilet seat level and fits more comfortably with standard toilets.
- 【Easy to install】 - Veken provides simple and detailed installation instructions for the bidet toilet seat attachment and additional videos for your convenience. It includes one stainless steel braided hose (2.13 feet), one brass T-adapter, three toilet seat bumpers and Teflon tape.
- High Quality Parts: Bidet attachment is constructed with durable ABS material, portable control panel, high-pressure faucet quality valves with metal/ceramic core, brass T-adapter, braided steel cold water hose instead of traditional plastics
- Dual Spray Nozzles: Bidet attachment features dual nozzles for two spray modes: front cleaning for women's private, rear cleaning for men & women. Samodra upgrades knob switch to button design for easier to switch between patterns
- Highly Sanitary Protection: Self-cleaning feature cleaning the nozzles thoroughly, telescopic nozzles automatically retract behind the convenient & movable guard gate for maximum protection and easy maintenance, give you double sanitary guarantee.
- Adjustable Water Spray: Water-pressure control knob allow you to adjust water pressure to create an experience that blends comfort and ease of use, enjoy a perfect healthy life. Elderly and children can also easily use bidets to get ideal intensity
- Easy to Install: Non-electronic bidet with high-grade accessories, compatible with most toilets. Easy installation into your standard 2-piece toilet in minutes without plumbers. Say goodbye to toilet paper and greet a cleaner, healthier lifestyle now!
- 【Better Personal Hygiene】The bidet for toilet is the best choice for bottom cleaning to improve personal hygiene,especially for women pregnancy and menstrual cycles. Hand Held Bidet Sprayer’s one-hand ergonomic design allows you easier to clean your front or back, which is more hygienic than using toilet paper.
- 【Multiple Uses】The handheld bidet not only works as a cloth diaper sprayer, pet shower, car wash gun, flowers Sprayer, baby bathing shower,toilet sprayer washer, hygienic sprayer,especially for anyone with limited mobility due to surgery, arthritis, postpartum or injuries, ideal for elderly adults.A great cleaning bidet sprayer kit for A whole family.
- 【Two Installation Methods】ONTO TOILET INSTALLATION - Just hook bidet sprayer holder to your toilet tank, save your bathroom space and tools for drilling holes. WALL MOUNT INSTALLATION - Available to supply other multiple use according to your varies requirement, such as pet shower, car washer, flower sprayer, baby shower.
- 【Water Pressure Control】It meets multiple use through adjusting water pressure of bidet sprayer from gentle spray to jet spray.Gentle press mode for feminine bottom cleaning or baby bath or pet bath washing. Jet spray for rinsing floor or carpets or baby cloth diapers.
- 【Premium Quality Parts & Healthy】Superior brushed finish for rust-proof, anti-corrosion is easier to maintain and operate.The bidet attachment set consists of a 304 stainless steel bidet nozzle,a stainless steel hose and a brass valve to ensure durability. All components of the bidet sprayer kit are in top premium material insure your healthy and happy life.
- GENTLER, FORWARD FACING SECOND NOZZLE, GREAT FOR FEMININE USE - Dual nozzles for rear and frontal wash. The feminine nozzle keeps you clean during monthly cycles and comes in handy for new or expecting mothers.
- HYGIENIC NOZZLE GUARD GATE – Shields the nozzle for your ultimate sanitary experience. The nozzle automatically retracts behind the guard gate after each wash to ensure it is protected until your next use.
- A LUXURIOUS LOOK AT AN EXCELLENT PRICE- With a sleek design and high-quality parts, our bidet attachment will give your bathroom a next-level look. Constructed with high-pressure valves with metal/ceramic cores and steel hoses instead of plastic.
- HAVE FUN DOING IT YOURSELF - Includes ALL PARTS AND TOOLS ( Teflon Tape for a snug and secure installation, Owner’s Manual /Installation Guide, Registration Card & User Guide) to get your bidet up and running in minutes. Easily attaches to and detaches from any standard two-piece toilet.
- NO KIDDING 18-MONTH WARRANTY – We are always here to make sure you are 100% satisfied, so anytime you have problems or concerns about the products, we are just one call away. Register your bidet online and get an extended warranty." The bidet features a convenient, hygienic nozzle guard gate for added protection and easy maintenance
- 【Dual Spraying Modes】- This toilet bidet offers both rear wash for thorough cleaning and a specially designed frontal wash for women during their period or for pregnant mothers, promoting a healthy, hygiene-conscious, and environmentally friendly lifestyle.
- 【Ultra-Thin Design】- At less than a quarter inch thick, this bidet attachment fits comfortably with standard toilets without the need to lift the seat, ensuring a seamless and aesthetically pleasing look.
- 【Easy-to-Use Controls】- With an easy-grip knob, you can adjust the water pressure and spraying mode to your liking, making it ideal for those with mobility issues. Experience the refreshing feeling of a shower with just a turn of a knob.
- 【Leak-Proof and Lead-Free】- Made with all stainless steel water connecting parts, this bidet attachment ensures no leakage and is lead-free, promoting a healthy and hygienic experience compared to traditional bidets with plastic/brass parts.
- 【Premium Butt Shower】- Upgrade your bathroom experience and enjoy a cleaner and more refreshing version of yourself with the magic of water spraying. Say goodbye to just wiping with toilet paper and hello to a premium butt shower experience with BIGCOW.
- Fresh - Get a fresh toilet experience at a reasonable price. Try washing the rear with fresh water, and you will immediately get clean and confident that you have never had before.
- Work - The knob switch of the bidet is upgraded to a button design, which makes it easier to switch modes. Each mode is separately distinguished, simple, and clear. The water pressure knob allows you to adjust the water pressure more smoothly, creating a comfortable and easy-to-use experience.
- DIY - Simple installation process, provides all the necessary parts that need to be used when installing the bidet. The bidet can be installed in just fifteen minutes, and it's not that difficult. It does not need electricity to start!
- Frugal - Really save paper towels, everyone thinks so. A bidet costs about the same as a box of 24 rolls of toilet paper and can last for years, which is sustainable.
- More - PIKETS offers a 20-month warranty! You can contact us for any problems you have with your bidet.
- ULTRA-THIN DUAL NOZZLE BIDET – Our non-electric bidet features dual nozzles for thorough posterior and feminine wash. Its easy-to-use control knob lets you adjust the water pressure to get the ideal stream. The streamlined, sleek bidet is designed to fit your existing toilet seat.
- SELF-CLEANING FUNCTION FOR IMPROVED HYGIENE – To ensure hygiene, the bidet attachment comes with a self-cleaning nozzle mechanism for before and after use. Plus, it automatically retracts behind the “guard gate” once you’re done, to keep it as clean as possible.
- QUICK & EASY INSTALLATION – Our easy-to install advanced bidet readily fits most standard toilet seats. Simply unscrew the toilet seat, fit your bidet attachment, place the seat back, and you are good to go.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION – The body of the bidet toilet is made of an eco-friendly ABS material, while the accessories include a stainless steel T-valve and a braided steel water hose. This bidet is constructed for durability and long-term use.
- MAKE A PLANET-FRIENDLY CHOICE – Installing a bidet toilet seat is a more environmentally-friendly choice than running through endless rolls of toilet paper. Using a bidet has also been proven to be more hygienic and less abrasive than wiping.
- 【Start a Cleaner Life】Still cleaning your butt by wiping? It’s time to upgrade! Our bidet toilet seat helps you clean your butt with gentler and more efficient water squirts, providing thorough cleansing for men and women.which saves you from potential risks of various infections. Bidets are gentler and more hygienic than toilet paper.while saving resources for you and the world!
- 【Bidet Attachment With Dual Nozzles】The posterior cleaning nozzle delivers a thorough and complete cleaning for your anus without harming the skin. For women (especially those in periods or pregnancy), the feminine care nozzle delivers gentler and softer water squirts, making private area cleaning become a total enjoyment.2 self-cleaning nozzles set to achieve more comfortable and thorough care.
- 【Ultra Slim Design Bidet】With the thinness of only 0.24-inch, this bidet keeps your toilet seat level while providing durable and comfortable support. It also comes with 3 extra seat bumpers to maximize its compatibility. This bidet attachment for toilet can cares your hygiene and health.make sure an elegant look of your bathroom. High quality and durability,
- 【Upgrade Bidet Experience】Our bidet provides a new refreshing experience,no more harsh toilet paper, our bidet attachment can replace the toilet paper, helps to lighten the burden on the environment.bidet can make you feel comfortable,soothing and clean whenever you using it, which gives you a new refreshing feeling.
- STARTING WASHING WITH TUSHY 3.0: TUSHY 3.0 is an updated version to include more features we know your bum will love! You will want to upgrade your lifestyle with a TUSHY bidet toilet seat attachment and poop like royalty on your porcelain throne. Give your butt the clean it deserves, alleviating UTIs, hemorrhoids, skid marks, dingleberries and more!
- PRESSURE & ANGLE CONTROL: Our knobs are made from brass metal or sustainable bamboo which are easy to grip and turn to your preferred pressure.The knob range has been reduced for more ergonomic pressure and temperature functions. The angle adjuster lets you find your perfect angle for your hole-y place.
- SLIMMER & EASIER TO CLEAN: The easiest clean bidet attachment ever! TUSHY 3.0 knobs are fingerprint and smudge proof! The Shmutz ShieldTM protects against build up and grime and the Smart SprayTM technology self-clean the nozzles before and after each use.
- SAVE YOUR MONEY & THE PLANET: TUSHY helps you save thousands of dollars over time on toilet paper consumption; saving you money every time you use the bathroom. It takes just 1 pint of water to properly wash with TUSHY versus 15 million trees to make toilet paper annually. For every TUSHY sold, we help fund the build-out of clean toilets for the urban and rural poor.
- EASY INSTALLATION: TUSHY fits all standard toilets and some one-piece toilets. It doesn’t require electricity or plumbing. Just unscrew the toilet seat, pop the TUSHY on, connect to water, and you’re done. Each TUSHY comes with everything you need to install on your own!
Last update on 2023-05-28 at 19:04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API